A good chicken curry is warming, spicy, comforting and delicious and this healthy interpretation is no different!
Full of Indian flavours, but without the heavy cream or butter.
This recipe pairs perfectly with a portion of cauliflower rice, which I have given a ‘pilau’ makeover to in the method below.
For the Curry
- 1 free-range chicken breast
- 50g baby corn
- 50g mangetout
- ¼ white onion
- 3 tbsp coconut milk (reduced fat*)
- 1 tsp ground almonds
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
For the Rice
- 100g cauliflower
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch of salt
For the Curry
- Marinade the chicken in the curry blend
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes until cooked
- Pull the chicken apart with two forks
- Dice the onion and sautee in a pan with the coconut oil and spices. Don’t let the spices burn
- Add the chicken to the pan with the baby corn and mange tout
- Pour over the coconut milk
- Reduce the heat and simmer
- Season and top with ground almonds and fresh coriander
*Using reduced fat coconut milk is optional, so I have provided the macros for both full-fat and reduced fat so that you can choose which one best suits your diet. The fatty acids found in coconut milk are highly beneficial – helping to lower cholesterol levels and reduce blood pressure. However, full fat coconut milk is much higher in calories than the reduced fat version so feel free to use whichever best suits your nutrition goals.
Calories: 454, Carbs: 11.2g, Fat: 28g, Protein: 41.5g
Calories: 341, Carbs: 9.0g, Fat: 15.9g, Protein: 40.2g
For the Pilau Cauli Rice
- Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it has the consistency of couscous or rice.
- Combine the spices with the coconut oil and mix well.
- Pour over the cauliflower rice and stir to coat.
- Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes or saute in a pan.
Calories: 38, Carbs: 3g, Fat: 0.9g, Protein: 3.6g