When you fancy something filling and rich but don’t have an hour to spare, try this very simple brown rice risotto recipe. It makes use of all your leftover meal prep and takes just 15-20 minutes as opposed to an hour.
Risotto is one of those comforting meals that usually requires a lot of attentive stirring and patience, as the arborio rice gradually soaks up whatever delicious liquids you’ve decided to add.
Arborio rice is a wonderful grain in itself, but I’ve chosen brown rice here as it adds a nutty taste that is beautiful alongside the chestnut mushrooms.
Brown rice is recommended as when brown rice is milled it becomes white rice, a process that removes various minerals from the rice. Most sources also suggest that Brown Rice has a lower GI than arborio (risotto) rice, which means less of an impact on your blood sugar levels.
However, whichever rice is your preferred ‘meal prep’ staple will be fine to use in this recipe.
The concept is simple, grab any leftover cooked rice and cooked chicken and use it up in this delicious one-pot recipe. I’ve always got some fresh herbs lying around; thyme, parsley and even rosemary would work well in this dish. Mushrooms, onion, celery, asparagus, green beans, peas and broccoli are all amazing additions – so have a clear out of your fridge and get cooking this tasty risotto.
Risotto requires the addition of liquid; often stock and white wine, but here we are going to use Chicken Bone Broth which is suggested to be highly nutritious. Of course, as a chef I would recommend the addition of a small glass of good quality wine, however, if you are following an Ultimate Performance transformation plan, let’s leave the wine for now.
- 150ml chicken bone broth (or chicken stock)
- 120g cooked brown rice
- 80g chicken breast
- 50g sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 50g green peas
- 1/2 white onion
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp grass-fed butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Bunch of fresh parsley
- 15g Parmesan shavings
- Sprig of thyme
- In a non-stick pan, melt the butter and add the minced garlic, white onion, thyme and sliced mushrooms.
- Once cooked down, add the rice and chicken and pour over half of the bone broth.
- Stir well and add in the peas, keep the heat relatively high and stir occasionally.
- As the rice absorbs the liquid and it reduces down, cover with a lid and leave for five minutes on a low heat to simmer.
- Remove the lid and squeeze in the lemon juice,
- Stir once more, adding the parmesan shavings and fresh parsley.
- Season well with sea salt and black pepper and serve.
Calories: 485 Carbs: 35g Fat: 20.5g Protein: 40g
If you want help creating a nutrition plan that will get you incredible results, speak to us about our Online Personal Training plans or simply click on the enquiry form below…