A simple, fool-proof recipe for the classic bolognese.
This recipe is very easy to follow and takes just 15 minutes to prepare. Our lean, high protein beef bolognese can be cooked in large quantities making it perfect for meal prep. You can enjoy this dish with spiralized vegetables, such as butternut squash or courgette, to keep the carb content lower than with a regular spaghetti pairing.
- 500g lean mince beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 500g tomato passata
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 5 button mushrooms
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp oregano
- 1tsp thyme
- 1tsp parsley
- 2 courgettes
- In a non-stick pan, gently brown the minced beef. Season with black pepper and then remove from the pan.
- Keep the pan hot and add the balsamic vinegar.
- Add the onions and garlic with the mushrooms, tomatoes and herbs. Stir continuously and simmer.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the beef mince back into pan and pour over the tomato passata.
- Season well with sea salt and black pepper and then reduce the heat and allow the bolognese to simmer for 15 minutes.
- As the bolognese reduced down, the sauce will thicken. Prepare your spiralized courgettes by boiling for two minutes and then submerging in cold water.
- Pour the bolognese over the drained, spiralized courgette and serve.
Optional: top with grated parmesan shavings and fresh parsley.
Serves 4, per serve:
Calories: 205 Carbs: 10g Fat: 5g Protein: 30g