Our take on the takeaway classic is a balance of sweet and sour flavours without excess sugars and salts.
Lean chicken breast with crisp tomatoes and fresh pineapple pieces are married perfectly with five spice, light soy sauce, and tangy rice vinegar.
We’ve included baby corn, mushrooms, and green beans in this dish to easily increase your vegetable intake, as well as pairing with our lower carb cauliflower fried ‘rice’.
Put down the takeaway menu and quickly rustle up this delicious dish completely guilt-free.
For the chicken:
- 100g chicken
- 1/2 tsp five-spice
- 1 tsp rice flour
- 1 egg white
For the sauce:
- 75g fresh pineapple pieces
- 2 round tomatoes
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp ginger puree
- 50g baby corn
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp chilli powder
For the Egg Fried ‘Rice’:
- 100g cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 50g green beans
- Combine the five-spice and rice flour in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg white and add the chicken into the egg white, followed by the rice flour mix to coat.
- Heat a non-stick pan and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Next, add the garlic, ginger, onion, mushrooms and chilli powder and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, pineapple, tomato puree and rice vinegar and reduce the heat so that the contents of the pan gently simmers.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and a pinch of salt and pepper, and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the baby corn to the pan and finish with soy sauce. At this stage, you can cover the pan and leave to simmer while you prepare the cauliflower ‘rice’.
- In a food processor, blitz the cauliflower until it is the consistency of rice.
- In a pan, add the sesame oil, green beans and cauliflower and stir-fry together for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Make a space in the pan and pour in the beaten egg with the soy sauce. Allow the egg to scramble and stir through the rice and green beans.
- Serve together with the sweet and sour chicken.
Calories: 445 Carbs: 34.5g Fat: 15g Protein: 43g
If you want to take your health, fitness, and nutrition to the next level, simply enquire about our Ultimate Performance Personal Training Plans below…