Whether you’re on a low-carb diet or just cutting back on ‘junk’ foods, sometimes the call of the pizza can be hard to resist.
Whether your pizza preference comes with a thin and crispy base, a stuffed crust or piled with meat or even (dare I say it) pineapple – many of us have a soft spot for that delicious Italian classic. This egg-based pizza recipe replaces high-carb pizza dough for a light and fluffy omelette base, ready for whatever healthy toppings you like.
This recipe is seriously easy to make, taking 5-10 minutes to rustle up and with ingredients, you’re likely to have lying around the kitchen – so put down that take away menu and make yourself a delicious pizza omelette in no time at all.
If you want more amazing diet-friendly recipes every week, sign up for our EatUP newsletter right here.
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 15g sliced red onion
- 20g feta cheese/reduced fat mozzarella cheese
Suggestions for toppings:
- 5% minced beef
- Cajun spiced chicken breast
- Sliced chestnut mushrooms
- Lean deli ham
- Pitted black olives
- Sliced Peppers
- Sliced Chicken Sausage
- Spinach or Rocket leaves
- Whisk together the eggs and egg whites and season with oregano, basil, a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- In a pan, heat the balsamic vinegar and pan fry the sliced onions and garlic.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and any other ‘toppings’.
- Once all of the ingredients are almost cooked, pour over the egg mix and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and finish under the grill for 2-3 minutes, so that the omelette is golden brown and bubbling.
(For the basic recipe using feta cheese, without toppings)
Calories: 263 Carbs: 8g Fat: 15g Protein: 24g
(For the basic recipe using reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, without toppings)
Calories: 244 Carbs: 9g Fat: 12g Protein: 25g
Carbohydrate source from tomatoes and onion.